Ayannali Blog

Thoughts and ideas and poems and...whatever I chose

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Conversation with My Child

While watching CNN the other day, I had a conversation with my 13 year old boy. There was a person being interviewed about the whole Imus and the derogatory statement he made about the players of Rutgers University women's basketball team.

The person being interviewed was pointing out that some of the highest selling rap artists use worse language in their songs denigrating women. So I asked my son if he thought it was right to call women these names. He said no it's disrespectful. Then we started talking about what happened to Imus and the punishment he received. I asked, do you think that was fair? My son said yes , we should all be punished for the wrongs we do.
We got back to music and the words in some rap songs and he said that those rappers shouldn't be able to disrespect women or anybody. they should be punished for being worse then Imus.

My 13 year old boy, who is part of the next generation that will be coming of age in less then 5 years understands that these words are disrespectful. He doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

My job is to keep my child on the straight and narrow, how much help will I be getting from the corporations that run the Music industry to keep filth off of the airwaves? How much money is made off of these rappers by stockholders of the company that owns the record label?

I have made a decision by not allowing my son to listen to or buy songs or artists that denigrate women in my presence. Now how about some help with keeping it off the airwaves so that when he is away from me, and it's playing on the radio in a car with a friend, he's not subjected to it? When are the people at the top going to be held responsible for their part in all of this??

4 Comments:

Blogger Lillian Russo said...

Good for you and your son. You are right on.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Good for you, sounds like your son has a good head on his shoulders, well done.

As long as people buy the songs the companies will keep churning them out to make money unfortunately.

I watched Happy Feet yesterday and I am certain one of the songs played on the soundtrack had the "N" word Imus used in it. Maybe I misheard but I need to check!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

Thanks Lillian

And Michael - Yes you did hear the word Nappy in Stevie Wonder's song "I Wish" which is featured in "Happy Feet"

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

This is a great post. It's very difficult to keep kids going the direction that they should when the general culture is trying so hard to pull them off the path.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home