Ayannali Blog

Thoughts and ideas and poems and...whatever I chose

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

Sunday, April 22, 2007

ALS

I just found out that one of the guys i went to high school with has ALS. I am completely floored by this. Why?

Who would think that this disease also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease would hit someone so young?
I know most people do not think of 34 as young, but I still do.

There are some industrious people in my graduating class I must say. I found out about it through email about a fund raiser for him that was being organized. In the email there was not only plans of what was going to be taking place: A silent Auction, Dinner, a live auction among other things, there was already a list of donors who have donated goods and services as well a pledging to match a certain amount of funds.

I am going to my boss to see if there is anything my company can do to help.

Here is a local site on ALS

If people would like to donate to help a former classmate pay for a much needed operation, all donations should be sent to:

Andrew Schemera Foundation for Life c/o Lisa Cox - 22 Fox's Lane Greenwich, Ct 06830

2 Comments:

Blogger eMMa said...

Is this the same as Motor Neuron Disease?

5:20 AM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

Actually yes it is a type of motor neurone disease.

"The name motor neurone disease (MND) is given to a group of closely related conditions that cause degeneration of motor neurones (the nerve cells controlling muscles) in the brain and spinal cords causing progressive muscular wasting and weakness. Increased muscle wasting and decreased mobility occurs when the ability to walk or use arms and hands becomes increasingly difficult. The ability to talk clearly and eat or drink with out help from others may become a factor as muscles in the face and throat might be affected. Last year more than 120 people were diagnosed with MND

There are four main types of motor neurone disease,

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS),
Progressive Bulbar Palsy (PBP),
Progressive Muscular Atrophy (PMA)
Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS). "


Read More here:
http://www.scotmnd.org.uk/MND%20Types.htm

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home