Ayannali Blog

Thoughts and ideas and poems and...whatever I chose

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

Friday, March 18, 2005

Still focused on London

I got some good suggestions on places to go while I am in London, thanks to those that commented :)

I am currently looking into renting a cell phone while in the UK. Have looked at a couple of companies. The pricing seems to run about the same, either making a minimum of 5 minute calls a day or flat fee plus usage time. It may be a bit expensive but keeping in touch with my family is very important.

The great thing about going for work is that I get a weekend off. I have a few friends who live in the UK so, it will be cool to hang out. One of my friends is a DJ, hopefully he will be off when I go, then we can hang out.

I am beginning to wonder how hard it will be to get around London. I know that London is about 45 minutes train ride on the Gatwick Express from where I'll be staying. (Staying near Gatwick...go figure)
I think I will go research that -

One thing I am grateful for is that London subway or underground is so easy to read and get around. I grew up in NY and sometimes the subway could be a tad confusing to me, when I was younger.
My mom used to say , the best way to test someones skills on getting around in NYC was to give them a map and a subway token and see how long it took them to reach the destination. Thankfully my mom didn't do that to me.

So it's about 2 1/2 weeks till I go!!

- gotta check more cell phones.....

4 Comments:

Blogger 8o8gnsurfing said...

Wow! Never been to the UK but someday, sounds like fun. Hopefully it will be a memorable one. Thanks for visiting my blog btw, and thats Howard Jones on the picture.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camden town is fantastic... tons of great shopping, outside markets. It's a lot of fun!

why don't you just buy a prepaid phone card? If you need to be called, leave one for your family as well.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

I almost feel silly posting a comment on my own blog, but you had no email address :)

toryssa - the reason I don't get a phone card is that the only place I would be able to recieve calls then would be my hotel room...since I won't be spending alot of time there, I need to have my family be able to contact me and not worry about having to wait hours for me to get back to them.

But I did think of that, thanks for the sugesstion! :)

And Camden town? I will write that down to my list :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

If you are at Gatwick, you are slap bang between London and the Sussex Coast. Brighton is definitely worth a visit, for The Lanes.

First day in London you might as well catch an open top bus (is it the number 11 from Victoria?) and get an aerial view of the things in the City Centre that you might want to see.

Camden - great - a whole day trip and more, but I'm not sure if the big market is only on set days?

Woolworth were doing T Mobile pay as you go phones for only £30 a while back, so worth checking their UK website

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home