Ayannali Blog

Thoughts and ideas and poems and...whatever I chose

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Politics and Katrina

Watching the Sunday Morning programs today, I was floored by a comment that George Will of ABC said.

He basically was going on about the response of the local government and then stated that because there are so many unwed mothers in the New Orleans area, this hampered efforts to get them to safety. The reason that they are poor is because the aren't married.

Wow.

I have to say then - America, I am sorry I am the cause of the ills in this world - my unmarried status has helped bring down this mighty nation!

I mean, I don't have my older son on Welfare and I don't live on my own, I don't have food stamps or any other government assistance. My son goes to a Charter School, and that is funded partially by the state - so there's a drain there. I have my own medical insurance through my job which I work over 40 hours a week, which covers my OB visits.
But of course it's the millions like me who have made this disaster worse.

And in case of an emergency, I would have to rely on public transportation to get me anywhere because I don't drive. That is another drain on our precious government.


There is just a part of me that is just upset that yet another thing should be blamed on unwed mothers, and another part that thinks it's just typical.

6 Comments:

Blogger Annake said...

Yet another example of the dipwads blaming anyone other than the people who were really responsible (like local, state and federal officials) for the whole (man-made) fiasco. They may not have been responsible for the hurricane, but they were damn well responsible for their lack-luster response to it. I'd have to say that George Will is a complete ass for suggesting that the people who were STUCK in the path of the hurricane were responsible for what happened to them.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

Thank you for your response and I agree that the response to the hurricane was lack luster at best.

I do hope that when it comes time to rebuild and time to put the infr- structure back in, people will remember that this was a community that was destroyed and it will take ALL of that community to make it better then it was.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

The blacks and the poor can't take all the credit. Without the gays and lesbians working around the clock to undermine the very foundations of marriage and thus society as a whole, this could have never happened. (said tongue in check)

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be useful if you got his comment right. His comment was talking how to end poverty. You are misusing his comments. Put up his exact quote.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

Ahh and again you seemed to have missed my comments.

I - as a single mother of one soon to be two, do not use the welfare system as was automatically assumed by Mr. Will.

I know lots of other single mothers, who have never been married, who don't fall into the "typical" single unwed mother archtype.

So in the context of poverty - it's not right to assume - unwed mother = poverty.

That is what I was saying.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

Ehab - I agree with you
and thanks for stopping by :)

Philip - heheh yep - I should make sure credit is spread correctly ;)

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home