Ayannali Blog

Thoughts and ideas and poems and...whatever I chose

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Insomniactic topic

I don't think it's a word either, but it is something I have been thinking about as I can't sleep very well.

In the middle of the night - in between frequent bathroom visits -I have been sleeping very poorly.
Most of the time when I get up, I can't fall back asleep for a few hours.
So I watch TV or read. Watch TV more and more lately.

I saw this show on a local station that was doing a debate on abortion. Why would this interest me now that I am 7 months pregnant? I was listening to the arguments of why it should illegal. Why Roe V. Wade should be overturned. The moral, ethical and political reasoning's.

I heard people's personal stories of how abortions have affected their lives and how it has shaped their beliefs. I have heard clergy state the obvious moral decline in the country due directly to the Roe V. Wade decision and the other decision handed down the same day.
I noticed the argument on how Roe V. Wade was way too permissive and allowed abortions to happen at anytime of the pregnancy. This person's argument was that it was being abused and would continue to be, though late term abortions in the 3rd trimester I have come to believe is not that common at all.

I did not see alot of debate on the Pro - choice side, though I did hear some derision from some of the clergy said it should be Pro - abortion not Pro - Choice.

This is where I disagree. I believe that my personal choice can be against having an abortion, but I also believe in a woman's right to choose what is best for her. I cannot advocate taking away any woman's right to choose to have a baby or not.

I listened to those who want to do away with legal abortions and wonder...
Where are these same people when woman have babies and need help with childcare, but can't find affordable ones around? Aren't these the same people who also decry a "welfare state" that the country has turned into?

Abortions should not be used as birth control, I agree with this statement. Where are all the preventative measures out there. Don't teach sex in schools is some things I hear. Or If you teach sex in schools teach only of abstinence.
These have proven not to work as effectively as people have hoped.

If you are going to take away a choice, then make sure you have all the preventative measures to stop that choice from being necessary.
If you are going to take away a choice, then make sure you have adequate resources to help those who need them. Affordable housing and Day care are paramount.

This is just my opinion that I have jumbled out. Though I am not apologizing for it :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Martian Anthropologist said...

The main problem is when we try to make a law that applies to everyone. There is no one right way to live. What is correct for one culture may not be for another.

By the way, thanks for the comment at my blog... how about a link?

3:17 PM  
Blogger Ayannali said...

MA - very good point.

I really like your blog and go to it often

A link would be nice.

Thank you for stopping by :)

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home